02.09.2020 ABC Jazz announces the first-ever Jazz 100
In September, ABC Jazz will ask audiences to vote for their favourite jazz artists in the first-ever Jazz 100, ahead of a must-listen countdown on 3-4 October.
Whether you’re a seasoned jazz fan or new to the genre, the Jazz 100 celebrates some of the most iconic names in modern music. Voting opens on Tuesday 1 September at abc.net.au/jazz, and throughout the month ABC Jazz will be highlighting a diverse array of artists to inspire your voting choices.
The Jazz 100 countdown on Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 October will feature music from all top 100 artists, as well as the company of special guests and regular ABC Jazz presenters Mal Stanley, James Valentine, Monica Trapaga and Megan Burslem.
Many of the great jazz standard bearers are household names. Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington established jazz as an artform in the ’20 and ’30s, before artists like Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Ella Fitzgerald expanded musical boundaries. Australia also has its fair share of jazz heroes too, with Don Burrows, James Morrison and Judy Bailey all bringing improvised music into households across the country.
Jazz is a language that connects people from all corners of the globe and celebrates freedom of expression. Voting in the Jazz 100 is your chance to give your favourite artists their place in the definitive jazz list.
- Voting: Tuesday 1 to Monday 28 September
- Countdown: Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 October
How to vote
- Head to www.abc.net.au/jazz and click on Jazz 100
- Browse the list of over 500 artists, including listening to audio samples from each one
- Create your shortlist of up to ten favourite artists, and submit your votes
How to listen to ABC Jazz
- Tune in to ABC Jazz via Digital Radio, TV channel 201, the ABC listen app, or at abc.net.au/jazz
Share the video